Friday, May 8, 2009

TV ads. will they work?

This article is really sad because it explains how Starbucks used to be so independently popular and now it’s going to all resorts, including television ads in order to get their business back. Starbucks is down by 77% since last year and we can all tell. Once again, here’s another article on how Starbucks is starting to go down the drain and doing everything possible to avoid this. Now millions of previous Starbucks customers won’t shell out for a cappacino. The problem is now a reality. Starbucks new campaign concinving customers that the price problem is actually a myth.

            The real problem, according to Starbucks is that people believe something about Starbucks that isn’t true. The article explains that although it seems old fashioned, tv is still the most effective way to get customers back and prove a point. The new campaign, as discussed in previous blogs is one to prove to competitors like McDonalds and Dunkin’ Donuts that their coffee may be a tad more expensive but it’s worth it because theirs is fresh and made to order. Let’s hope Burt Helm, from Business Weekly is right when he says the TV ads are the most effective ones.

            There new slogan, “It’s not just coffee, it’s Starbucks” describes the campaign in a nutshell. The TV ads, according to Helm will reach the most passive couch potato, guaranteed.

            One ad shows Schultz, the CEO, asking baristis about their coffee. They claim that they pour their heart into it. Personally, I think that’s taking it a little far. What does that even mean? Coffee is coffee. Some might be better than other, which I agree with, but saying your pour your heart into it isn’t going to change anything for me. On the other hand, that slogan might appeal to the ethos side of things. Coffee is, in fact an experience, and it can go a lot deeper than just drinking coffee. That is the point that starbucks is trying to get across. Even if it’s only to get sales back up, our country is searching for something or some hope in this day in age, and the new campaign might just be exactly what they ordered. We’ll have to wait and see. 

2 comments:

  1. After reading this blog of yours, I just have to say, I've never seen a Starbuck's commercial at all. When I see other commercials about let's say Sonic or Wendy's, yes I would say it does attract me when I'm craving for a juicy burger. If I saw a commerical on Starbucks, I am for sure that I'll be there in a flash. What I also find interesting is the fact about their slogan is that it is short and simple, and it might acutally get the attention of insiders out to a starbucks coffee shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how so many people love Starbucks but it's "going down the drain". I can see how this happened, Starbucks expanded SO fast, just a year ago there was one popping up on every corner! I am one that enjoys a Starbucks because my friends enjoy and thats where they want to go, but I am definitely more a fan of small independent coffee shops. That's more of a nostalgic idea of coffee, tucking into a quiet place to study, have intelligent conversation, etc. It's very much a hip stereotype and many of Starbucks ex-customers probably find the company's expansion as much too "corporate", so to speak. And yes, coffee is coffee but I have had much better now that I have experienced Italian coffee for the last 8 months...I don't think I will be going back to Starbucks on my return to the states!

    ReplyDelete