Thursday, April 9, 2009

STARBUCKS are going down everywhere

ARTICLE: http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2009/04/06/daily40.html

Mark Anderson wrote a short article in the Sacramento Business Journal concerning the closing of 7 starbucks stores in the Sacramento Area. The rest of the article explains where exactly the stores will be closing. What I thought was interesting were the comments left on the article. One person, a mom or “fan”, explains why Starbucks is such a great asset to any community. She has four college aged children who have participated in the training programs and been were included in the benefits for part time workers. I never knew Starbucks did either of these. Although people complain about Starbucks’ hypocrisy concerning their social responsibility, Starbucks really has made large strides in improving other aspects of our society, like, training new workers in the field and starting them off with benefits as a boost into the work world. She explains that the stores closing is a disappointment because people will lose these extra bonuses and jobs that are desperately needed. The economy is what is causing all of this, it has nothing to do with Starbucks. I think that it is obviously partly the economy, but also I’m sure it has to do with the high prices Starbucks has. There service is normally really good and their coffee and food is excellent but their prices are a little high, so in these hard times, their business will inevitably go down. A cup of coffee is normally the first thing to go when people start cutting down financially.
The second comment comes from a man who is ecstatic at the new closure of the stores. He explains that the over abundance of Starbucks everywhere overrun all the small locally owned coffee shops and it’s about time these other shops get business. He has a little bit of a sarcastic attitude by saying things will only get better when they(Starbucks) is “long gone”. Both critics examine separate issues about the Corporation and both are true in certain ways.

2 comments:

  1. I know of at least three Starbucks closing in my hometown! It is a good point though that it really has nothing to do with the ethics of Starbucks, it is the economy. I can see how coffee is a big chunk of the average person’s spendings, especially those who are drinking a cup every morning—that can get pretty pricy. The high prices fit the high quality of product and service though. It was always interesting to me to see so many Starbucks around, and I always felt it was really unnecessary. It probably seemed like a good business move for them at the time, as the economy was probably in a better place. Businesses shut down a lot, but it is good to see that there are people still having good things to say about Starbucks. I know I have always been a fan, and I certainly do not need one on every corner or lower prices to stay a fan! I know some employees who were struggling from the stores having to shut down, but that is normal part of every business, no reason to attack the corporation. Interesting idea to look at the comments on the article! I am curious as to what the closings of all of the stores has done for them financially and their reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only know of 1 starbucks that closed down in my town but that was mainly due to construction and it was hard to reach it. Your right though, this has nothing to do with the company it more so has to deal with the economy. I know that with the economy, more people are cutting down on wants and focusing more on what they need. A cup of coffee for about 3.45 is ceritanly a want. Their prices also could be hurting them as well I know I have gotten drinks for about 3 or 4 dollars and in the end it wasnt made correctly and its like gee there went that 5 dollar bill. I think that putting a starbucks on nearly every corner was a fantastic idea 5 years ago but now that consumers are cutting back, its costing more to keep them open. I am interested in what happens next for the company, will they continue to close more stores or will they rebound.

    ReplyDelete